Hello. I have a passion for training, supervising, and mentoring the next generation of behavioral health and wellness professionals. Social Work is challenging, but very rewarding work. I come from a family of helping professionals. So, perhaps it’s in my blood. I enjoy the diversity of my supervisees and getting to know and mentor new people. Despite all of the differences, we all share a desire to help, heal, and better ourselves and our community.
I believe in life-long learning. I believe social work supervision is a collaborative approach. I believe in accountability. I believe self-care is an essential piece of longevity as a professional helper. I believe learning should be fun (at least most of the time). I believe in unconditional acceptance. I believe in utilizing your strengths. I believe you are worth investing in.
If you’re looking for a more clinical answer, I favor cognitive behavioral therapy, solution focused therapy, positive psychology, motivational interviewing, and strengths based interventions.
I am uniquely qualified to supervise professionals working as case managers/case workers or psychotherapists. I have supervised well over 40 interns and pre-licensed professionals working in community mental health, home health care, homeless shelters and serving populations including adolescents, transition aged youth, older adults, dually diagnosed adults, veterans, the chronically homeless, families in crisis.
I began my clinical work at a non-public, special education school. Here I worked with kids with emotional and behavioral issues so serious that they couldn’t be managed in public schools. I then worked in an intensive home-based counseling program for juvenile offenders in San Jose. I ran anger management groups and interfaced with the court and probation department regularly. From there I worked in wrap around services both as a facilitator and program manager. For nearly ten years I worked at a program for homeless youth. I addition to my clinical work, I started the internship program and supervised therapists and case managers throughout the agency. I have developed a successful private practice serving adults, couples and adolescents. I’m an active blogger and enjoy writing about both clinical and supervisory issues.
- 8 years employed as a clinical supervisor at a Bay Area non-profit
- Field Instructor for students from San Jose State University, San Francisco State University, Boston University, California State University East Bay, and others
- Supervised over 40 ASW, MFTi, and social work & psychology students
- 20 + years of clinical practice in both non-profit, community mental health settings and private practice (including juvenile offenders, dually diagnosed individuals, homeless youth, home-based services, wraparound services)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker since 1999 (License #LCSW19355)
- MSW from Boston College
- BA in Psychology from Clark University in Worcester, MA
- Basic Certificate in Trauma Informed Care from West Valley College & EMQ